ASTM A 333 – Seamless and Welded Steel Pipe for Low-Temperature Service
ASTM A333 covers nominal (average) wall seamless and welded carbon and alloy steel pipe intended for use at low temperatures.
Orders for material under this specification should include the following, as required, to describe the material adequately:
- Quantity (feet, centimetres, or number of lengths)，
- Name of material (seamless or welded pipe),
- Size (NPS or outside diameter and schedule number of average wall thickness),
- Lengths (specific or random),
- End finish,
- Optional requirements,
- Test report required,
- Specification designation, and
- Special requirements or exceptions to this specification.
Chemical Requirements(Composition, %)
- Normalize by heating to a uniform temperature of not less than 815 °C and cool in air or in the cooling chamber of an atmosphere controlled furnace.
- Normalize as in 1, and, at the discretion of the manufacturer, reheat to a suitable tempering temperature.
- For the seamless process only, reheat and control hot working and the temperature of the hot-finishing operation to a finishing temperature range from 845 to 945°C and cool in air or in a controlled atmosphere furnace from an initial temperature of not less than 845 °C.
- Treat as in 3 and, at the discretion of the manufacturer, reheat to a suitable tempering temperature.
- For the seamless pipes only, heat to a uniform temperature of not less than 815 °C, followed by quenching in liquid and reheating to a suitable tempering temperature, in place of any of the other heat treatments provided above.
Tensile strength: ≥450Mpa
Yield strength: ≥240Mpa
Charpy V-notch Impact Tests
Impact Temperature: -100°C。
When subsize Charpy impact specimens are used and the width along the notch is less than 80 % of the actual wall thickness of the original material, the specified Charpy impact test temperature shall be lower.
Hydrostatic or Nondestructive Electric Test
Each pipe shall be subjected to the nondestructive electric test or the hydrostatic test. The type of test to be used shall be at the option of the manufacturer, unless otherwise specified in the purchase order.
Permissible Variations in Outside Diameter
|OD, mm||Over, mm||Under, mm|
Permissible Variations in Wall Thickness
The minimum wall thickness at any point shall not be more than 12.5 % under the nominal wall thickness specified.