ASTM A480/A480M General Requirements for Flat-Rolled Stainless and Heat-Resisting Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip
It is the responsibility of the purchaser to specify all requirements that are necessary for material ordered under this specification. Such requirements may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Quantity (weight and number of pieces),
- Name of material (stainless steel),
- Condition (hot-rolled, cold-rolled, annealed, heat-treated),
- Finish; in the case of polished finishes, specify whether one or both sides are to be polished,
- Temper (if the applicable material specification requires this detail),
- Form (plate, sheet, or strip),
- Dimensions (thickness, width, and length),
7.1 Thickness shall be ordered to decimal or fractional thickness. The use of the gauge number is discouraged as being an archaic term of limited usefulness not having general agreement on meaning. The gauge number shall not be a basis for rejection.
7.2 Thickness, width, and length, when applicable, should be ordered in the same units, for example, 0.060 by 48 by 120 in. [1.52 by 1219 by 3048 mm].
- Edge, strip only,
- Type or UNS designation, refer to the applicable material specification,
- Specification designation and date of issue,
- Additions to specification or special requirements,
- Restrictions (if desired) on methods for determining yield strength,
- Marking requirements,
- Preparation for delivery, and
- Magnetic permeability test (when required).